Saturday, October 9, 2010

What a week

This was Homecoming week at our school. It's great for most of the students but mine usually don't do well unstructured things. Each day was a different theme and a different fight. I dealt with full face masks, too many hats to count, costumes that had nothing to do with the days theme, body paint, etc. Each day topped the last. To make matters worse, I came home Thursday and found that Bodhi had chewed big chunks off his industrial strength Kong and then had thrown up in his kennel. There were bits of Kong everywhere. We went outside and he pooped which was a good sign. Then he puked more. I thought (but couldn't tell) that there was a bit of a pinkish hue to the vomit and then I started to worry again. I fed him a cup of food to see what would happen. He kept it down. He drank some water through the night. Then at 9 he threw up again and it was quite bloody but it was just liquid. Then I was worried. His stomach wasn't hard like it would be from a blockage and, although he didn't appear to be his normal cheery self, he wasn't laying on his side like you'd expect from a blockage. At this point there wasn't much that could be done. Vets might do an x-ray to see if they could determine a blockage but the blood could have also been from a 101 other things. Even though I was worried, I made the decision to stay up through the night and watch him and his belly. I sat with him on the couch and finished surfing the net all the way to it's end at 2 in the morning. I think I finally nodded off a bit sometime about 4:30 but the lights were all on. He didn't get sick at all. I checked on him throughout the day and things were ok. I think he's back to his normal self now. Bodhi has cost me more at the vet than I think every dog I've had combined. I was a zombi at work on Friday and only made it through one episode of Season 5 The Wire before I crashed out.

No comments: