Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Gear stuff

I was just playing in the garage and going through stuff. I'm planning on bringing the same clothing items (maybe not the EXACT same cuz the old stuff was burned) but the "kit" (hate that term) consists of the same stuff with the exception of ditching the long sleeve jersey this year in favor of something else that's significantly lighter, more compressible and not even in the same warmth universe. I already said that the sleeping system is stupidly modified from last year. I'm 3 pounds even with bag, bivy, pad, compression sack, and Carousel seat bag. Clothing, compression sacks, and Carousel front roll bag come in at 3.4 pounds. My bike's still 24.5 but should drop a pound with the new goods. So...bike and gear on the bike is gonna be 30.9 pounds (as of now). I'll still have the same water treatment system (not having Giardia is a great thing). I'm looking to go sans stove this year. So...there shouldn't be much on my back. Right now without my food and water I'm 17.1 pounds lighter than I was last year. For me personally, I'm gonna try and go into this year's race with about 5 more pounds of girth (so far I'm on track in that area thanks to generous beer consumption which, oddly enough appears to have piled on in my ass region in addition to a few pounds in the breadbox). I know this because I can't comfortably wear several pairs of pants that I was wearing last year. It's not like I've got 2 hams back there and it's far from a ba dunka dunk but I think it's more plump right now.

In my head I have a bit of a different strategy for this year that I think is gonna work out better for me overall (can't hurt from the seat of the pants strategy I've run with for the last 2 years). I'm not getting into what that's gonna look like but I'm excited about it and yes....it does involve gross quantities of ice cream stops.

Anyways....I love crunching numbers and I'm getting super pumped to do some longer rides to prepare better this year. Good things will happen this year.

No comments: