Friday, October 17, 2008

I am a bastard. I should not have such good luck but............I do. I fished a little section of water above Spinney Reservoir. I saw 2 dudes leaving as I was pulling in and we stopped and chatted. Their exact words were, "We didn't see one fish". I love when dudes say that. So I pulled in, suited up and hit it. I walked to where the river runs into the reservoir and then turned around to start heading back up stream. I do not fish fishy water. I'm constantly looking and I only stop if I see a fish set up and feeding. I cover a ton of water and that's the mistake I see most guys making....they just fish "fishy" water. I hadn't seen much but I looked real hard at a little hole with a deep undercut. As I watched, a huge shadow rolled and I got goosebumps. I headed back down so I could cross and get access to the undercut. I had a nuclear egg on and a Black Beauty. I hooked up on the first cast through the run. I stayed there giggling for an hour and a half. I lost count at 13 and the smallest trout was 16. The biggest one was pushing 24. They were the slimmest fish trout I've ever caught in Colorado. All browns. Last year I was a complete snob. I only pursued big trout. I didn't even cast to anything under 18". I decided to fish this spot today because there was no one else there and I wanted solitude. I got it and big fish.

The water is skinny.


Hellooooooooo.


This is absolutely my favorite part of fishing.


Many of the fish were hot today.

No comments: