Saturday, October 18, 2008

Fit for a King

Tonight I had a meal that was fit for a King. Some friends of ours had us over for dinner. He's a big game hunter and he just got back from a hunt in Washington state where he harvested a black bear. Now I love wild game but Heather's a bit leary. We dined on mushrooms stuffed with black bear sausage. Elk steaks, okra, squash, and baked potato. It was killer. Surprisingly, black bear sausage tastes just like ground beef sausage. Some of the meat is being smoked and that it supposed to taste just like ham. I'm not sure if all black bear tastes like that. Most of the black bears around here eat trash because our city kinda blows with the whole trash thing. Many towns up here have all of the bear proof containers and will issue citations if you don't use one. I wish we did. Anyway...the bears up in that corner of the nation eat berries (blue, huckle, and rasberry) and that definitely influences the taste of the meat. I'd highly recommend you try it.

Now I gotta finish gearing up for tomorrow and reviewing some maps. It's gonna be fun.

No comments: