Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Wheels

I was so happy that TK built my wheels because I knew I wouldn't have issues with them standing up to the abuse of the CT. He used Salsa rims, double butted spokes, alloy nipples, and WTB Laserdisc Lite hubs. The hubs are the same as American Classics and they're light and use a huge hub flange that helps make the wheel stiff. Plus they're black and that's always good. He even went as far as to use a wider rim on the back although I don't know my skinny ass needed it. After 346 miles of harsh trail, the wheels are true like an arrow. Now normally I'm a Shimano guy through and through particularly with hubs. Every other hub I've tried (Hugi and Hadley) have given me problems in the freehub area. I've been away from bikes for so long though that I didn't even blink when I was presented with such a beautiful bike from Ghisallo. TK's not an idiot and I trust him completely.

Things happen though and, obvioiusly, I had some issues in the rear hub department. Since I got back home I've been questioning whether or not the hub could have gotten me to Durango. Maybe it would have but maybe it would have left me with a long hike towards any kind of civilization. The bike sat on the roof rack for 2 days but yesterday I decided to take the hub apart and look at it. I removed the axle, freehub body and pawls. I cleaned everything (although it really didn't look bad after just 6 months of use) and lightly re-lubed it. There was no change when I put it all back together.

I contacted WTB yesterday and spoke with one of their techs named Chris. After listening to me, he wanted to hear the hub through the phone. He was pretty speechless afterwards but super great about helping. He sent out a new set of bearings and a freehub just to make sure we covered everything. I felt so much better after talking to him about the decision I had made. I should have the re-build kit on Firday and hopefully it will fix things. I actually really want to get back on my bike.

On a differnt note...I hooked up with Eddie near Frisco and we pretty much rode the rest of the trail together. I've kept tabs on him since saying goodbye on the Continental Divide. Yesterday he was marked as a DNF as he crashed out about 15 miles from the end. I'm so sorry Turk.

Another rider and Woodland Park local, Marshal Bird, was really putting in a good ride but he also suffered some ill fate a few days ago. It appears he fell off a 30' cliff and it resulted in an 8" laceration on his shin that exposed the bone. He was equipped with a SPOT and Search and Rescue successfully extracted him and delivered him to the ER in nearby Cortez where he was treated and is now recovering. I'm so glad you're ok Marshal. I know how crushed I was and I can't even fathom what's going through your head. Hang in there man.

No comments: