Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Stomach bug

It now appears that I picked up some bacterial/parasitic souvenirs along the Colorado Trail. Yesterday, of all days, the symptoms kicked in. Heather and I drove to Ft. Collins to check it out as we're considering another move and have heard excellent things about the town. I can report that the public bathroom in City Park is a lovely facility, as is the one in old downtown. The pits at Horsetooth Reservoir are...well...the pits.

We made it back to Woodland Park where I could have home field advantage. I had a horrible headache, fever, chills, stomach aches, and the dreaded diarrhea. I know some people drink right out of streams and rivers and I've heard that 25% of the population can do so with no issues. I'm the majority. I've had these issues before (although never this bad) after backpacking trips where I drank from rivers. I treated all my water but even if you think you're being careful, it only takes one mistake and there are no garauntees. I do remember filling up at Four Mile Creek and dropping my Camelback bite valve into the stream and had to chase it down. I did treat it separately but...who knows. This could also be a touch of the flu but I just don't think so.

Waiting for my doctor to get in.

No comments: