Thursday, November 28, 2013


See what I did there with the title?

I did a little bit of work on the tank today. The first thing I did was spray on some etching primer. I'm learning as I go here but one important lesson I learned was that, at this step, you don't wanna put a lot of primer on.

Reason being is because the next step is to start sanding. And sanding. Too much primer means the paper (even 150 grit) gets clogged up real quickly and you go through a ton of it. What's left are spots where the body filler becomes exposed. These are the high spots. The areas with the primer are the low spots.

Next I whipped up some more filler and applied a very thin skim coat. The purpose of this is to fill in the low spots. The idea here is that it's easier to mix up bondo and throw it on than it is to sand down the high spots. I also hammered down the highs just a bit. That's all I got done today. Tomorrow I will fire up the DA sander and knock down the high ridges and then start sanding by hand. There's a lot of work left to do with this tank.

No comments: