Thursday, August 1, 2013

Neck

About a month ago now I got another Cortisone injection for my neck issues. A few days later I told Heather that something went wrong. I just didn't feel as good as I had after that first injection. Sometimes the Cortisone doesn't take. I figured that was what happened. Then it got worse. My pain threshold is pretty high but things got really ugly earlier this week. I was sitting on the couch and went to look at one of the dogs to the right and heard something pop and was in immediate pain. Enough to almost bring me to tears. I toughed it out for 2 days thinking things would ease up as they usually do. They haven't. It's gotten worse. After 2 days I called my doctor and begged for some pain meds. He was going to give me Vicodin but I told him I needed something stronger. I was doubling up on those before and they did nothing. So I am on a new drug now called Gabapentin. I'm doubling up these along with muscle relaxers and...they do nothing. Today I couldn't drink out of a glass of water without flinching.

Several years ago when I was having all the teeth issues and getting shots before they worked, I had one shot where they hit the nerve dead on. The doctor told me that they actually try to hit that nerve but rarely ever do. When they do, the jolt is out of this world. When I sit here on the couch (or lay in bed, or stand) I am in constant pain but once in a while (like when drinking, or washing my face or moving in a certain way) I get that zing. I am almost positive that it's a nerve being pinched in my spine. By far, the worst pain I have ever experienced. In the last few days I am starting to have radiating pain down my right arm. I have a referral into an Orthopedic Surgeon and I'm hoping to hear from him soon. For the last 4 days I have sat on the couch or slept and tried to stay still. This sucks.

I have been doing a lot of research. Originally I was told that I had degenerative disc disease. This isn't really a disease and it's also not necessarily an issue that gets worse over time. I don't think this is what I have going on. After my research, I think I might have a herniated disc.

No comments: