Monday, May 27, 2013


This morning I brought this home on a trailer. My original plan was to bring it home and then tell Heather that I had just decided on my own to buy it but the cat was let out of the bag a few nights ago so she already knew. It's a 1981 CB 650. It belongs to a friend of mine. He lives a ways away from here and it's been in storage. He doesn't have a place to work on it and he's not very mechanically inclined so he asked if I would go get it and see if I could get it running. I don't know much about motorcycles but it seems to be in fairly decent shape. 

The tall windscreen is kinda dorky looking but I'm sure it helps a lot.

It for sure needs a new exhaust. All 4 pipes are rotted out. I'm going to start by putting in a new battery and new plugs. It also HAD an oil leak. I say had only because it appears to have leaked out all of the oil. So I need to find the source, fix it, and then throw on a new filter and fill it with fresh oil. The oil leak is where I started today. I pulled the exhaust, crash bars, and the sides of the motors off so that I could see more.

This looks to be the biggest issue. On the left of the picture and behind that shaft is the oil pump. The shaft is actually the shifter shaft. Right where it enters the motor, there's a seal under all that sludge. I believe it is puking out oil. So I'm gonna put a new seal in. Also just above that is the counter shaft sprocket. Behind that is another seal. I'll probably go ahead and do that too because they're cheap and appear to be pretty easy to replace. Then I suppose I'll fill it with oil and see if it leaks.

I'll post more photos of the process. I've only worked on it for a few hours now but it's fun. I've always wanted to have a manageable project and wondered if a motorcycle would be one.

No comments: