Friday, August 24, 2012

Day off

I had the day off today because Stage 5 of the USA Pro Cycling Challenge was coming right past my house and the town shut down. I was going to go chase trout but I slept in and drank coffee until about 1 and then grabbed my bike and pedaled around town. It was a madhouse on main street. I decided to head down the mountain and to the top of a small climb right at the turn off to Green Mountain Falls. I figured there would only be a few people up there and I was right. I could see the riders coming for a ways. 


They were ahead of schedule and I only had to wait for about 45 minutes until the break came by.


Pretty crazy to see these guys riding on roads that I ride all the time. Or at least used to. I try to stay off roads now days.


A few minutes later the group came by.


Loves me some Garmin but wish Hesjedal was there.


On the way back up the mountain I was looking for hucked bottles. I found this one and was pretty thrilled. Not sure who tossed it but they were in the group. I also found another one but it's a Cytomax bottle. I know it was thrown from the race and not some random dude riding down the mountain because I saw it get thrown and was I NOT hallucinating.


I rode home and started watching the stage and happened to see a Bissel rider huck a bottle way down closer to Springs. I knew it broke when it was thrown. Heather and I went for a drive and found it. We came home and I watched the footage again so I could see the number of the rider. I got ahold of my buddy Dan who rode for Healthnet then Kodak, and then BMC before retiring. He found out the rider was Ben Jaques Mayne. Pretty cool. I feel like a little kid.


I remembered that I had this tucked away in the closet. Signed by Juli Furtado.


Cycling is cool and it's been a major part of half my life. The CTR took a bit of that love away because it is/was soooooo hard. I'm not sure where I'm at with cycling now days.

No comments: