So I got the front brakes all sorted out on the CB and they work flawlessly. Rebuilding the front caliper was simple. Rebuilding the master cylinder was simple too. A lot of guys bitch and moan about how hard it is to remove the circlip that holds the piston in the MC but I didn't have that much trouble at all. I got the front end of the bike all buttoned up again and decided to fire it up. Then I noticed that the motor was only running on three cylinders. Fourth was dead. So...it was time to pull the carbs. I've put it off long enough. Here they are. I personally think that removing the stock airbox sucks.
Here was the first issue I found. This washer is found between 1 and 2 and again between 3 and 4. From what I can tell it makes sure that the needles inside go through the main jet and restrict or allow fuel to flow. This washer keeps them working in sync. It is broken and it is no longer made. So...I had to get creative but right away I had a plan.
This is the bowl side of the #4 carb. It was dirty and crystallized and but not as bad as I thought it was going to be. Upon pulling it all apart, I did notice that the idle jet was completely clogged and took quite a bit of work to get cleaned.
This is the #4 carb after it was cleaned along with the bowl and top cap. It is ready to go back together. I'm just waiting on the rebuild kits to show up.
The top piece is a dust shield that is original and, again, no longer made. There's 4 total and 2 were broken. Again...I had an idea in my head.
I did pull the #3 bowl off just to peak inside. It looks worse than 4 did but the idle jet wasn't nearly as plugged up. It is dirtier overall though.
This is the other piece if whipped up last night. Original is up top and mine is down below. It was close to being done in this pic but I worked on it a bit more and now it's exactly the same size. I even sanded it all out and all marks are gone. Looks brand new. It's thicker than the original piece. I see no reason why this should not work.
I'm busy the next 2 nights with parent/teacher conferences so I won't be able to work on it until Friday but I have that day off. So I hope to get the #4 back together and then tear apart 2 and 3 and have them maybe rebuilt by Sunday if all goes well. We'll see.