Thursday, July 25, 2013

More Cafe Stuff

Not really cafe at all. In fact, I don't even know what you call this design. I think it resembles the type of bikes that were used in WWII with the side cars. I titled this cafe because it will make it easier for me to find when I start getting serious 

This is an example of the kind of Frankenbike build I have also become very interested in. As I'm getting older, I don't even know that I could ride a cafe kind of bike. I think something like this would be really unusual and comfortable. Kinda looks like a fat bike but those tires are not really all that wide even though they look like it here. The bar would be lower than what comes on most bikes from the factory but they would also sweep back more. The more I look, the more I am drawn towards the 550 because of the spoked wheels (although I am sure I could find some and swap them onto a 650). This seat is different and I actually like the stock seat on a lot of CB's that is just flat. I would want to retain a front fender and probably have the rear fender just a tad longer. I wouldn't have to relocate the foot controls. The trickiest part is that I would actually want to run rear hard cases. To my knowledge, there are none made that are bolt on for the CB's so it would mean sourcing something (I have seen an older set that were made for Yamaha's that looked an awful lot like these that are commonly used on HD's). The devil would be in coming up with a way to weld on some type of attachment points that would be solid enough to handle the washboard fire roads that we have out here but also not look like hell. I think something like this would be able to comfortably carry my bivy or 1 man tent, a bag, waders, boots, and fly rod (broken down of course), along with some decent food and beer (creature comforts) and make a run to the Taylor River or to Buena Vista for long weekend of exploring and fishing. I've also seen aluminum cases for the KLR's but I really think the parallelogram shape of the HD cases looks nicer. It's probably not a build that would get me there at light speed but that's not really what I'm interested in. Hmmmm...the gears continue to turn.  


No comments: