Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Let there be light...but no washer fluid

The stock low beams on the van have been killing me. 2 Maglites taped to the roof would put out more light. There's about 1/2 a volt drop from the battery to the headlight connector and that doesn't seem like a whole heck of a lot. I considered adding in 2 relays so that more power (always the answer right?) could reach the lights but I'd have to tap into the wiring harness inside the steering column and that's always dodgy. The real decision was made at the parts store when they told me that each Bosch relay was gonna run me $12. After connectors and wire I'd be close to $45 and I figured I could get some driving lights for that. I'm not a fan of drilling holes in bumpers (particularly this one) but I didn't have any other options. So I mounted up some lights last night.

After messing around with the main fuse panel to get power, I went to button everything back up and noticed one wire hanging there. So in a sea of wires I needed to figure out where it's home was. I decided to call it quits around 10. While having coffee and pouring over wiring schematics this morning, I realized that the wire in question controls the front windshield washer pump. The bugger of it all is that now I have to figure out how to make this work again. This is one wire in a plug that contains 15 different wires for various things in the front of the vehicle and I'm going to have to get the connector out from deep inside the plug and then repair it. I have a few ideas so we'll see how that goes.

Whilst monkeying around under the dash I did find another connector that wasn't plugged together. I have no idea what it controlled but I'm hoping it will equal about 47 more horsepower at the wheels. If so then I might be close 90.

I know you're dying to see pictures of the install so I'll appease you later.

2 comments:

Craig said...

Chris,

Craig again...

Funny you mention the wiring of your headlights. Older 911's are all wired that way from the factory - no relays!!! The full amperage travels thru the headlight dimmer switch and the heat actually bends the metal connectors. The end result is that your high beams stay on along with the lows - doubling the current! There is a guy in California that sells a pre-wired relay kit with instructions that make it super simple to bypass it all right at the fuse panel. Luckily, the fuse panel and battery are all in the "boot" right up front by the headlights in the 911.

The voltage drop issue sux, but the real hazard is NO fuse in line with the dash lighting circuit Fires at the firewall and fuel lines from front to rear are not a good combo. Hard to believe the engineers missed that one. Reminds me that I still need to put an inline fuse there!

There is also a mystery "brown wire" connector under a Carrera driver seat. Shortly after I got the car, I found this laying disconnected right by the DME (Bosch engine management computer). Thinking it would also be like a turbo, I reconnected it.

I went online and found out that the connector was for California cars and actually LOST me about 10 HP!!! Needless to say, I unplugged it quickly.

Next time you're in STL and if you're bored, come on over and check out my 911 (or I'd be glad to meet up with you if the weather isn't shit). They're super fun cars and VERY easy to work on. There is also an awesome internet community of enthusiast DIY guys who (like me) could never afford to pay a mechanic to maintain the car (they're actually pretty affordable to buy). I just need to rig up a bike rack so I drive it more often.

Chris said...

I love the 911's Craig. A friend of mine has a 69 911. Super fun to drive.

Would love to hook up the next time we're in town and check yours out. I'll be sure to let you know when that is. Possibly in the next three months??